Day 1 for me started off pretty well with a campy Intro to Druapl(con), then a great presentation from Lullabot’s Jeff Eaton, who gave a high level overview of Drupal architecture. Things were choppy after that with a session about Theme preprocess functions that was plagued by a malfunctioning demo and a presenter who spoke too fast.
Lunch (burrito) was good, Dries’ keynote was solid, and a lively session about Drupal 7 delivered by Angie Byron had things moving along well again. But a simplistic and hastily delivered CCK session and a session about executing a Drupal implementation that was little more than common sense provided a frustrating end to the day.
Getting ready for an SEO session now that will hopefully kick off an improved Day 2.
I’m off to my first Drupal con in just a few hours. Not at all sure what to expect. Being essentially a novice, I just hope I am able to grasp enough during the sessions to make the three days worthwhile.
I’ve been tracking all the #drupalcon tweets and the “Drupalistas” are nothing if not enthusiastic (the hard core pre-conference stuff started Saturday, two days before the “regular” conference). I’m terrible at networking, but I hope to meet a few Drupal folk. Groove 11 can always use more Drupal resources.
I also have a nagging feeling that in two or three months I will wish I could go back to Drupalcon SF 2010 and do it over again with the knowledge gained after the conference.
This is so ugly (or is it?) that I had to post it.
How does one find the width of the first line of a multi-line dynamic text field via Actionscript (AS2, specifically)? I couldn’t find a good solution to this via the usual forums, so I did it myself.
Here’s what I came up with. Pass in the string from the dynamic text field.
var firstLineWidth = 0;
var wordArray:Array = new Array();
wordArray = _str.split(" ");
// "test_text" is a dummy text field on the stage. It must be
// the same width as the text field we're trying to measure.
// It may be better to create a new text field on the fly then
// destroy it, but I needed to run this function a lot and wanted
// avoid the overhead.
test_text._width = _textFieldWidth;
test_text.text = "";
while(wordArray.length > 0)
test_text.text += wordArray.shift() + " ";
// Once the text goes to two lines, return the last width we recorded
if(test_text.textHeight <= singleLineTextHeight)
firstLineWidth = test_text.textWidth;